The country salad is an easy, simple and delicious recipe. We explain step by step, the preparation of the essential recipe for the summer.
The country salad is a typical culinary preparation of Spanish cuisine that consists of various vegetables mixed with a vinaigrette. In summer it is normal to have fresh salads to combat the heat, in fact, in all houses, there is a recipe for a country salad. For example, in many homes, it is called a summer salad, even if it is made in any other season. The country salad recipe, with that creamy potato base, is ideal when the heat is on.
In addition, the potato is the ingredient that unites the many variants of this humble and tasty dish along with tuna or bonito, potato and boiled egg. There are even those who like to add crunchy ingredients, acids or legumes. We started!
How to make a country salad
Despite the many variations of this recipe, the country salad ingredients used in the original recipe for two are :
- 400 g potatoes
- 1 spring onion
- 3 pear tomatoes
- 1 Italian green pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 can of tuna in oil, natural or bonito
- 10 or 12 green or black olives
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sherry vinegar or cider
- Lemon juice
- Ground black pepper
- Fresh parsley
Preparation of the country salad:
- Difficulty: Medium
- Total time: 40 minutes
- Preparation: 10 minutes
- Cook: 30 minutes
- The first, and the only step that requires a little more elaboration, is to cook the potatoes and eggs . Below we explain how to do it so that they do not remain raw or overcooked, so wash them before putting them to cook whole in a pot with plenty of salty water. They can also be done steamed, although the water method is more practical because we can take advantage of it to cook the eggs at the same time.
- After about 10 to 12 minutes of cooking, remove the eggs and let them cool slightly before peeling them. In any case, it depends on the taste of each one, so you can take them out earlier if you like the yolk a little raw.
- Continue to cook the potatoes until they can be pierced with a toothpick without difficulty, so you will have no doubts whether they are raw or not. Although we tell you the same as before, you can leave them until they are to your liking. When that time comes, drain and let them cool until we can peel them without burning.
- Wash the peppers well, open them and remove the seeds. Cut them into small cubes or strips and chop the chives finely. Also chop the tomatoes as you like and combine all the ingredients in a bowl along with the olives cut in half, the potatoes and salt and pepper to taste before mixing.
- Next, prepare the vinaigrette by emulsifying the oil with the vinegar, the lemon juice and seasoning according to your preferences. Put the drained tuna or bonito spread over the top, add the peeled and cut eggs and dress with a good dose of the vinaigrette you just prepared.
- You also have the option of mixing the tuna and egg with everything else, however it will be a little less presentable. Of course, before starting to taste it, it is essential to mix it, it is key so that the country salad ingredients are mixed well.
How to cook country salad potatoes
- To obtain an optimal result in your preparation, you must carefully select each of the country’s salad ingredients and make sure they are of good quality. So the first thing you should do is cook the potatoes. Put them in a pot and add plenty of water until about 3 or 4 fingers are covered on top.
- Put the pot over medium-high heat and cook the potatoes whole, skin and all, for about 20-25 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes.
- Remove from the heat when you have verified that the potatoes are just right by sticking a knife in one of them. If you notice that it is introduced without resistance, that means that they are ready. Be careful not to pass them or they will break into pieces.
- Put the potatoes in a container with cold water to prevent them from continuing to cook, and they will also cool faster.
- When you check that they do not burn, peel them and cut them into large and irregular pieces and you can now add them to your country salad.
Other tips for your country salad recipe
- We recommend that the potatoes are not green and are of good quality. To prepare the country salad recipe, as for the Russian salad, the ideal is that they are firm and not mealy like those used in stews.
- This country salad can last a couple of days in the fridge, but no longer because the potato begins to fall apart when in contact with the vinegar. Take this into account when preparing it, it is okay to do something, but not excessively.
- It is not essential that the salad rests in the refrigerator before consuming it, although many will say that this way the potato mixes better with the flavors. However, what you will achieve is that it is fresh when served, and in the middle of summer it is appreciated.
- You can also put other vegetables, such as green beans or cucumber, there are even those who put legumes such as beans or cooked lentils. Customize it to your liking.
- Finally, as a curiosity, we want to tell you that the country salad ingredients hardly differ from the southern aliñás potatoes. Perhaps the most traditional recipe for aliñás potatoes is limited to the cooked potato, onion or spring onion, boiled egg, parsley, oil and vinegar, even simpler than the country salad. Now you can make it as you like!